This set of Rules forms the Constitution of Marple Rifle and Pistol Club
1. The Club shall be called the MARPLE RIFLE AND PISTOL CLUB, trading as MARPLE TARGET SPORTS CENTRE.
2. The Club shall be affiliated to the National Smallbore Rifle Association and any other Associations as decided by the Committee.
3. The objects of the Club are to encourage skill in rifle, carbine, pistol and air gun shooting by providing instruction and practice in the use of the rifle, carbine, pistol and air gun to Her Majesty's subjects so that they will be better fitted to serve their country in the Armed Forces, Territorial Army or any other organisation in which their services may be required in the defence of the realm in times of peril and in the promotion of shooting as a sport at local, national, international and Olympic level.
4. The Range is to be open for use only at the times specified by the Committee.
5. The minimum age for full membership shall be eighteen years.
6. There shall be a Junior Membership. This shall only be open to people between the ages of fourteen and eighteen. Proof of age and identity in a form satisfactory to the Club will be required. There shall also be a Family Membership. This shall only be open to members of the immediate family of a Full member residing at the same address as the Full member. There shall also be a Senior Citizen Membership. This shall only be open to people who reach the age of 65 before the start of the relevant year. Only Full and Senior Citizen members shall be entitled to vote at General Meetings.
7. The Club shall be managed by a Chairman and Committee of ten (five to form a quorum) who shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting. To be eligible to serve as an officer or member of the Committee a person shall have been a full member of Marple Rifle and Pistol Club for 3 years. All Officers of the Club, who may be co-opted from time to time will be ex-officio Members of the Committee. The Committee may fill vacancies on the Committee or among the Officers occurring during the year. The Secretary may convene Committee Meetings, as and when required upon giving seven days notice.
8. The President shall be elected at an Annual General Meeting for a five year term. In the case of death, dismissal or resignation within the term, a new President shall be appointed by the Management Committee for the balance of the term. The President shall be an ex-officio member of the Committee.
9. The Property and assets of the club shall be vested in the Trustees and managed by the elected Committee.
10. There shall be a minimum number of three and a maximum number of four Trustees.
11.The Trustees shall be appointed by the Management Committee and shall be made up as follows: One officer of the Club, (to act as Chairman of Trustees) up to two Management Committee members, and one ordinary Club Member.
12. The assets of the Club shall protect the Trustees from pecuniary loss, except that arising from malfeasance or malpractice.
13. The Secretary or any Officer or Member receiving any money on behalf of the Club shall at the earliest opportunity hand the same to the Treasurer.
14. The Annual General Meeting shall be held as soon as possible after the end of the preceding year. At least seven days notice of such Meeting shall be given to the Members where the following business shall be transacted:- election of Officers, including book-keeper or book-keepers, and Committee, receive the Balance Sheet and Report of Committee; approve revisions of the Rules and Regulations (if necessary) and consider any other business.
15. The book-keeper or book-keepers shall examine the accounts at least once annually, prior to the Annual General Meeting, along with any invoices and vouchers and shall submit a report certifying that such are correct and fairly represent the expenditure and receipts of the Club and its assets and liabilities. The book-keeper or book-keepers may at any time inspect any books, documents or property of the Club, in the possession of any Officer or Member, and make a report thereon in writing to the Committee. The Auditor or Auditors shall be appointed by the Trustees.
16. The Committee may pay accounts and incur any normal liabilities on behalf of the Club. The Committee and Officers are hereby indemnified by the Club against any claim or demand in respect of any liability properly incurred on behalf of the Club.
17. Application for Membership shall be made to the Secretary. All new members must serve a probationary period, the terms of which shall be decided by the Committee. Applications for membership shall be processed by a Membership Secretary appointed by the Committee from amongst its members. The Membership Secretary will also serve as the Police Liaison Officer for the Club. The Committee may refuse to admit any person to membership without assigning any reason.
18. Any prospective Member of the Club must sign a declaration under Section 21 of the Firearms Act 1968 on their first visit and will not be permitted to shoot until they have done so. They must be provided on their first visit with an Application for Membership form. They must return that form, fully completed, with the necessary photographs, a stamped, self-addressed envelope, the full subscription, joining fee and a form of identification acceptable to the Club no later than their second visit. Until the fully-completed Application for Membership form and the accompanying photographs, stamped, addressed envelope, subscription, joining fee and verification of identity are submitted no further shooting will be permitted. (The Club would expect the form of identification to be a passport, photo ID driving licence, a Firearms Certificate, a Shotgun Certificate or document of similar standing).
19. The Committee shall determine the Annual Subscription, which is payable on 1st January in each year. Any Member whose subscription is not paid by 31st March is debarred from the privileges of membership. At the discretion of the Committee subscriptions may be paid in two portions: one on 1st January, the other portion on 1st July, each portion being one half a full year's subscription.
20. The Committee may remove from the Roll of Members, any Member whose conduct on the range, or elsewhere, is unsafe, criminal, unseemly, objectionable, or likely to bring the Club into disrepute, or who fails to comply with any Rule or Regulation made by the Club or by the Committee. Such Member shall have no claim on the Club for any subscription or entry fee paid. He/she may appeal against the decision of the Committee to a Special General Meeting of the Club, provided that notice is given to the Secretary within fourteen days of his/her receipt of notice of their removal from the Club, and after the requirements for a Special General Meeting are met. (See Rule 21).
21. If at any time the Club in General Meeting shall pass a resolution authorising the Committee to borrow money, the Committee shall be empowered to borrow for the purpose of the Club such amount of money either at one time or from time to time at such rate of interest and in such form and manner and upon such security as shall be specified in the resolution. Thereupon the Trustees shall at the direction of the Committee make all such dispositions of the Club property or any part thereof and enter into such agreements in relation thereto as the Committee may deem proper for giving security for such loans and any interest on the loans. All Members of the Club, whether voting on such resolution or not and all persons becoming Members of the Club after the passing of such resolutions shall be deemed to have assented to the same as if they had voted in favour of such resolution. Authority to borrow monies shall be renewed each year at the Annual General Meeting.
22. Upon receipt of a request in writing duly setting out the purpose, signed by twelve Members and delivered to the Secretary, the Committee shall within fourteen days convene a Special General Meeting of the Club.
23. Upon such request being duly served and not being complied with within fourteen days, those demanding it, may themselves convene a Special General Meeting of the Club by giving seven days notice in writing to the Members, duly setting out the purpose for which such Meeting is called. Any resolutions passed at such Meeting shall have the same force and effect as if they were passed at a Meeting convened by the Committee.
24. Any Officer or Member of the Committee may be removed by a majority of two thirds of the Members present at any General Meeting convened under rules 14, 21 and 22. Such vote may be taken by ballot.
25. The Committee may make and amend Rules and bylaws in regard to the use of the Range and the proper running of the Club.
26. Any Bylaws and Rules and amendments to same made by the Committee under Rule 25 shall be published, by being exhibited on the Club Notice Board, and shall thereafter have all the force and effect of these Rules, but shall be submitted for confirmation at the next Annual General Meeting.
27. The Chairman of the Club and Committee shall have a casting vote in case of a tie.
28. The Committee shall have power to legislate upon any point not provided for in these Rules.
29. All shooting shall be governed by the rules of the appropriate national body.
30. For the firing of any weapons to take place there must be the shooter and at least one other paid up full member of Marple Rifle and Pistol Club present. The second person may not shoot at the same time as the first shooter.
31. In the event of the Club being wound up, the property and assets of the Club shall be converted into cash and distributed amongst the members of the Club in direct proportion to the number of complete years of continuous full Club membership. Probationary members at the time of winding up shall not be entitled to any share of the Club's property and assets. Junior membership of the Club shall qualify for a share of such distribution at half the rate of full membership. In the case of a member with non- continuous membership only the latest period of continuous membership shall qualify for a share in such distribution.
Back to top
Back to home page